Peppermint (Mentha piperita) has a strong, clean, fresh, minty aroma. One of the oldest and most highly regarded herbs for soothing digestion.
Pleasantly suitable for an abundance of oral and topical uses, peppermint may be the most versatile essential oil in the world along with lavender.
Peppermint essential oil gives a cooling sensation and has a calming effect on the body, which can relieve sore muscles when used topically. It also has antimicrobial properties so it can help freshen bad breath and soothe digestive issues.
Peppermint is one essential oil you probably don’t have at home, but should! As one of the oldest European herbs used for medicinal purposes, peppermint is great to have on hand to remedy a variety of aliments, but that’s not all! Peppermint oil has tons of unexpected benefits you’ll be glad you know about.
Some of the most common benefits of peppermint essential oil include:
- Reduces stomach aches
- Freshens breath
- Relieves headaches
- Improves mental focus
- Clears respiratory tract
- Boosts energy
- Releases tight muscles
- Cost-effective natural solution to replace pharmaceutical drugs
8 Essential Uses of Peppermint Oil
- Add a drop of peppermint essential oil to herbal tea to help aid normal digestion.
- Massage several drops of peppermint essential oil on the abdomen, place a drop on wrists, or inhale to soothe the minor stomach discomfort associated with travel.
- Rub one drop of peppermint essential oil on the temples, forehead, over the sinuses (careful to avoid contact with your eyes), and on the back of the neck to relieve head pressure.
- Place 2 drops of peppermint essential oil on the tongue and rub another drop of oil under the nose to help improve concentration and alertness.
- Apply peppermint essential oil to the back of the neck and shoulders throughout the day to keep energy up.
- Inhale peppermint essential oil, apply topically to your temples or neck, or put a drop on your tongue or in water to jump-start your morning routine.
- Diffuse or inhale peppermint essential oil mid-morning to curb the desire to snack.
- Inhale peppermint essential oil or rub a drop on to your abdomen to soothe minor stomach discomfort.
Here are my two favorite Peppermint Oil brands.
Pure Body Naturals Peppermint Oil is Steam-distilled from leaves of the Menthapiperita (peppermint) plant. It has no dilution or filtering. It has no additives or fillers. Pure Body Naturals uses the highest in quality and purity for their peppermint oil. Their products are non-toxic, highly concentrated, natural and undiluted; suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
As some of the uses stated, Pure Body Natural’s peppermint oil also repels rodents and insects such as fleas, tics, flies, rats, mosquitoes, mice, midges, spiders, bed bugs, ants and roaches. Their oil is 100% natural and non-toxic which makes it perfect for use around the home and garden as it is completely non-harming. A great alternative to other chemical products with effective results.
With Pure Body Naturals you get the largest bottle in comparison to most other sellers with 4 ounces in each bottle! With each bottle, you get a glass dropper for convenience.
Majestic Pure Cosmeceuticlas Peppermint Oil is a premium quality, pure and natural without any additives or fillers.
Here are some recommended uses from Majestic Pure:
- Add a few drops to a foot bath for relief of swollen feet.
- Rub a drop of oil under the nose for improved concentration and alertness.
- Apply to the back of the neck and shoulders to keep energy levels high.
- Mix with carrier oil and massage chest or drop into a humidifier to help clear sinus and lung congestion.
Directions: Other than aromatherapy, carefully dilute with a carrier oil such as fractionated Coconut, jojoba or Almond oil.